Pardee RAND Degree Requirements
A Curriculum Focused on Public Policy Analysis
Pardee RAND Graduate School offers only one degree: The Doctor of Philosophy in Policy Analysis.
The Ph.D. program consists of five elements:
- Interdisciplinary Core Curriculum In the first year, students take a rigorous core curriculum that covers mathematics, statistics, economics, operations research, political science and other social sciences.
- Analytic Concentration (optional)In the second and third years, students may elect to concentrate their coursework in one of three analytic concentrations: economics, quantitative methods, or social and behavioral sciences.
- Policy SpecializationStudents also specialize in at least one policy area, such as national security, health, education, energy and environment, labor and population, economic development, or civil justice and regulation.
- On-the-Job Training (OJT) Outside the classroom, students acquire practical experience as paid members of RAND research teams.
- Policy-Relevant Dissertation Finally, they write a doctoral dissertation that combines analytic rigor and practical utility under the guidance of a committee of RAND faculty and researchers.
The Pardee RAND Curriculum is under continuous review. Course offerings and requirements are therefore subject to change.