Pardee RAND Career Development
The Pardee RAND Graduate School Office of Career Development provides comprehensive support to prospective employers, current students, and recent graduates, as well as streamlined communication among all parties. Partnering with organizations interested in hiring our graduates is an important part of our mission.
Career Development staff work with students as soon as they arrive and continue after they become alumni. We offer a New Student Orientation and schedule individual meetings with each incoming student. We encourage students to explore their interests more broadly at first, then focus and leverage their on-the-job training and dissertation toward their career aspirations.
The Career Development Office reviews resumes and supports students in their job search, with interviewing and "job market talk" preparation, guidance on reference checking, and assistance in negotiating final officers. We have existing relationships with many employers (e.g., Abt, LMI, CDC, DHS, Aerospace Corp.) and Post-Doctoral programs (e.g., Harvard) as well as with the Milken, Broad, and Gates Foundations.
We also host a variety of events:
- Career Seminars (broad and topical, i.e. "Working in the Federal Government")
- Career Workshops (skill specific, i.e. Briefing Design, Conference Networking)
- Pardee RAND Alumni Cafes: informal sessions with plenty of Q & A
- Speakers at Dean's Lunches: careers in public policy
What Do Pardee RAND Alumni Do?
Pardee RAND alumni enter many diverse fields. Here are just a few of the jobs our alumni have:
- Policy analysts at research institutions
- Assistant professors at schools of public policy and public health
- Intelligence analyst for a national security agency
- Conflict management and mitigation specialist for a major development agency
- Environmental economist for a major international development firm
- Consultant for one of the world's leading management consulting firms
The careers of Pardee RAND graduates often move across these traditional categories but we expect that they'll continue to expand as careers are becoming more fluid between public and private sectors.
We encourage alumni to keep in touch with us, with each other, and with RAND.
Job Placements, 2009-2012
- Abt Associates
- Amgen, Inc.
- Center for American Progress
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Compass Alliance Strategic Consulting
- Defense Acquisition University
- Department of Homeland Security
- Denver Public Schools
- Government of Bulgaria
- Harvard Center for Education Policy Research
- HDR, Inc.
- HEC School of Management
- IMS Health, Inc.
- KNG Health Consulting
- LA County Office of AIDS Program and Policy
- Mayo Clinic
- Northrop Grumman
- Northwestern University
- RAND Corporation
- Republic of Korea Air Force
- Simon Fraser University
- Southern California Edison
- UN – Department of Economic and Social Affairs
- U.S. Agency for International Development
- United States Air Force
- United States Military Academy at West Point
- University of British Columbia
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of California, San Diego
- University of New Mexico
- University of Southern California
- Volpe National Transportation Systems Center
- World Bank
- Zirve University